I went to meet my new doctor today. I really liked him a lot. He is ok with me using diet and exercise to control my diabetes as long as we get results. He is impressed with where I am now…in relation to where I was when I was diagnosed. He did make a few suggestions.
- He wants me to up my exercise plan from 3-4 times a week…to 5 or 6.
- He wants to add a couple of medicines to my regimen that are known to help diabetics. Since I want to get OFF meds…we compromised. I would try the two low dose meds (one for blood pressure and one for cholesterol) for 2 weeks before I go back to see him. We took a full panel of blood/urine tests today and that will be my new baseline. I go back in 6 weeks to see how things are.
- I will keep a log of my daily blood sugar for him…but he thinks that I can start checking it once a day, instead of the 8 times a day that I do it now. He also called me in a new glucometer.
- He wants me to try to take off another 40 lbs. (my own personal goal is 81 lbs, but he thinks that if I can drop another 40, I can possibly get off the Metformin…or at least cut down the dosage…so I will take that!) I have always just done low carb…but am moving toward more of a Keto diet. Low Carb, High fat, Moderate protein. It seems to work well for me and (when I stick to it) the weight comes off really easily.
- He doesn’t care what diet plan I use, so long as my A1C is a 7 or better…but my goal is to keep it below 6.
We have a bunch of friends coming over tomorrow for a cookout and then going to karaoke…so I will start fresh on Sunday. New food log, new blood sugar log, fresh start all around. I also plan to start writing here more…just to help keep me on track!
My next new keto recipe that I plan to try? Scalloped Daikons! YUM! I will take pictures and let you all know how they turn out!